Thursday, December 2, 2010

Define Me



I sat at my computer to write a "profile" post and got a huge shock- I am not defined by my past, my sin, my circumstances, my relationships or my moods.

I challenge you to look at how you usually introduce yourself- the definition you give to sum yourself up when you meet new people:  Are you defined by your children?  "I'm Bubba's Mumma," Your marital status,  "Im Hubby's wife, divorced, single"  are you defined as a career?

More personally how do you define yourself when you speak about yourself in general conversation?

I'm short,

I'm fat,

I'm cuddly,

I'm lazy,

I'm tired,

I cant do this....

Let's look at the negative statements that we make starting with "I'm...." today – write them down or make a mental note of them. Then pray over the list.

 "But forget all that— it is nothing compared to what I am going to do. For I am about to do something new. See, I have already begun! Do you not see it? I will make a pathway through the wilderness. I will create rivers in the dry wasteland. Isaiah 43:18-19

 

Let's start speaking some truth into our day!

God is good,

He is very interested in us,

He has a good plan for our life and He is already working right at this minute to bring it about.

5 comments:

  1. It IS hard to try to define myself! How about this, "I am a child of the King!" That should fix 'em!

    I enjoyed your post!

    ~Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have struggled with this issue, being a late-born again Christian and getting over the habit of letting people and the world define me has been hard. I still spin out of control on my negatives and then I slow down... read a little psalm 139 and get it straight once again. He defines me and that's it and if I believe that then I have peace. His perfect peace, for imperfect me. Great post, so happy I stumbled across your blogs today :)
    Blessings,
    Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  3. PS... thought you'd like this... "When God measures a woman, he wraps the tape around her heart, not her hips." ~ Lyne Shaffer

    Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just love that quote Heidi!!
    It is funny how easily the negative definitions flood in but it takes real work to focus on the definitions God has given us.
    I love psalm 139 too,
    Reese- that is the one I want to be remember by too!!
    have a lovely week gals.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post. It's so easy to define ourselves based on the world's definitions and overlook the truth of who we are in the Father.

    Blessings,

    RACHEL

    ReplyDelete